Catwalk Soundtracks




Music next, here in the trend loop. One of the cleverer elements on the catwalk that caught my ear is the soundtrack selection. I call it "m & m & m" synchronising the models, the movement and the mood can be a powerful and intoxicating combination if the selector gets it right. This appreciation goes back to my music PR days and evenings and late nights spent around London's underground hip hop scene when Subterania was THE spot for UK, London, international independent artists passing through the capital.

Growing up on eclectic music diet was my entry into this world. My parents favourites were the Beatles, the Monkees, the Everley Brothers, Johnny Nash, Roger Miller, Shirley Bassey et al. My brother was a skateboarder, he passed down the lyrics to Grandmaster Flash The Message to me to learn off by heart. My sister was into Bob Marley, Elvis Presley and berry black lipstick by Biba and I was out spending pocket money on 2 Tone 7 inchs and Tippa Irie 12's. My baby sister got the full impact I'll have to ask her how she survived? Poor thing..! Musically it was a skitzy household, but it left me with an equally skitzy appreciation of sounds, being in the moment for a moment no matter how short, appreciating everything in that moment is heightened and enhanced by the sound of music.

So I guess that's why my favourite LFW presentations were those with toe tapping mood enhancing music. AVSH ALOM GUR's music came courtesy of ELOE OMOE whilst Eley Kishimoto offered sounds by Daniel Pemberton. Couldn't make it to (errrm didn't get an invite) to Vivenne Westwood but her "Catwalk Breakdown" album is on the racks in Selfridges and Jean Charles de Castlebajac has written a track on Galanters album Happy Fu. So what next in the world of fashion and music collaborations? I'd be totally up for a static show in Sub set to an old old school hip hop soundtrack circa 1979-80.

No comments: