Maida Vale to Mayfair


A couple of afternoons ago I ran into Harris as I'm walking my bambini through the BFC courtyard holding a little hand on my right and four bags in the other (I also have a soggy foot) which I couldn't figure what why.. when up walks Harris and immediately spots the problem. My Qasimi bag was dripping, I'm swinging around with bottle of juice, open and half full with a straw still inside. Harris whips it away, empties the bag, transfers jackets and tickets to another bag, bends down talks to my son gives me hug, takes the bag puts it in the bin and says see you later. That's the Harris I know big hearted.
Turn to page 9 of the September 18th edition of es magazine and you'll see a fresh faced picture of Harris Elliott sitting on a super sized version of the Q1, his red quilted leather laptop bag from his luxury leather luggage label H by Harris. If didn't know Harris, I would still be a fan, he's what you call home grown talent. We first met in 97-98 on a shoot for TY & Shortee Blitz for a video called I.A.A.D "I am a Don", Harris was the stylist and I was producing I watched him at work and he's a grafter. His passion for styling, his creative approach and his hard working ethos meant that Harris now has a A-list roster of clients, including Judy Blame, Mark Ronson, Reem, Boudicca.
H by Harris is hot.. I'll admit I'm biased but its not just me that loves them Browns Men's have given him their window for London Fashion Week. There is/was an Australian women's prison drama called Prisoner Cell Block H.. well this is nothing it except in name only. Harris' window is entitled 'Cell Block H' and it partners with the Fashion East Men's Wear installation today in Somerset House Vaults.




In the run up to London Fashion Weeks Men's Day I paid Harris a surprise visit at his office in Mayfair. He was expecting me but he wasn't prepared for an interview. Recorded by my shaky hand we kept raw, gritty and grainy (i must invest in a tripod) on the Flip handy cam. But he's a good sort and went with the moment. With Mos Def playing on Harris' lap top we had fun dissecting the in's and out's of 'H by Harris', man bags and telephones boxes. I reminisced over the challenges of living up to the 'Made In Britian' label and his learning curve understanding manufacturing in the UK. So he's going for it, full throttle he's taking a leap and so far has been blessed with good fortune. Ever the fun loving family man with a huge heart, I wish him all the best!

H by Harris is available in..

Browns
Dover Street Market
B-Store

No comments: