the gentlewoman

Its been ages since I flipped through a magazine with real paper pages! I am one of those that switched to the digital editons of pretty much everything. While I was working on my Masters dissertation I purposely stockpiled a few of my favourite things the gentlewoman magazine, Chanel Coco Rouge and Philosophy skin care treatments (which I've been testing for 2 weeks and love, love, love) are at the top of the pile. So with a  slightly different approach,  my camera in hand and a slow, considered and totally self indulgent frame of mind I headed down to Queens Park with boy, boy.. while he climbed frames I read..


Almost cover to cover, I've been entertained by the Victorian inspired titles touchy feely cover, 'several references' insert printed on matt paper and simple, straight talking messages to the modern woman. Less on gloss, the interviews with Phoebe Philo, Alice Rawsthorn and Daisy Lowe and up & coming ladies like Josephine Chime and Kitty Travers (the ice cream lady I met in Village Press courtyard a few seasons ago!) are interesting because they tell stories about biking round Hackney Wick or swimming pool flavoured ice cream! I especially like the interview end notes with the PR detail that features and articles are usually built around nice touch. I'm not done reading yet, but i'm going for the gentlewoman not for fashion but for style, for the message, its relevant, modern and a very good read..




Alice Rawsthorn talking junktime 

Kitty Travers on gourmet ice cream


Josephine Chime on folding bicycles

Phoebe Philo on life at Celine 



'Several References' page i

No comments: