Myrto Stamou + River Island


Dresses by the University for the Creative Arts’ (UCA) Graduate Fashion Week-winning designer will soon hit the UK’s High Streets. UCA Rochester graduate Myrto Stamou has adapted two designs from her Gold Award collection exclusively for River Island. Both dresses will be sold nationwide from June for £49.99 and will feature UCA on the swing ticket.

Myrto said: “Starting my professional career with such a coveted collaboration is the best thing that could happen to me. This collection is a great chance for me to show people what I can do and get my name back into the public domain after Graduate Fashion Week - I can't wait to see how the collection is received by the public.”


Myrto’s two dresses are based on the GFW collection she designed while studying BA (Hons) Fashion Design at UCA Rochester in 2009, however there are slight differences. “My collection was quite wearable already but there still where a few changes to be made to make them more practical and wearable.. One of the dresses is very close to my original designs, combining drapery with all the intricate fabric manipulation which I have used on the fitted bodice of the original garment. The other has a different silhouette which is more body conscious. It still uses the same fabric manipulation but without the draped parts this time.”


“Before this collaboration, I had only seen small, designer studios but at River Island I got to see the inner-workings of a major brand and discuss my ideas with experienced professionals who design for the mass market every day,” she added. “Winning Graduate Fashion Week is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me,” explained the 24-year-old. “It has given me the opportunity to make some great contacts, meet very interesting people and take invaluable advice from important professionals in the fashion industry, but most of all, it has given me the confidence to start building my own brand which is my biggest dream. “I am currently back in Athens where I am setting up my own label. It's a thrilling period for me and I can't wait to begin exploring new ideas. My brand's identity has already been defined by my graduate collection but as I always love to experiment, I'm eager to do my best and develop my work and style. I hope that I will be able to show this first collection in Athens and London.”


Good luck Myrto.. We hope your dresses fly off the shelves!

No comments: