Vintage at Goodwood

As the season begins to turn I find myself flipping through the photo album that was the summer of 2010 reminiscing over being one of the first 50,000 visitors to rough it in Chichester at the first ever Vintage at Goodwood festival! It gets like that when living in the city gets on top and I think I’d like nothing better than to move somewhere quiet and green,  summer holidays in the UK are one of those times.  It’s my job to fill the 6 week break with vaguely interesting and preferably exciting family orientated activities. 

This year camping seemed like a good idea, Glamping (glam camping) sounded even better, however my inability to get my head around spending in excess of £1000 to sleep under the stars (tipee or no tipee) for 2 nights in Britians unpredictable weather was reason enough to consider good old fashioned,  traditional rough it in a tent. Have to admit we didn’t really rough it! I spent the weekend writing a to-do -wish list of things we needed to go camping (so worth it!). Top of the list was transportation to West Sussex, by the Thursday before we left for Vintage at Goodwood we'd ticked that of the list. We had a Grand Cherokee 4 x 4 Jeep courtesy of Lavish Magazine and a tank full of Unleaded to get us there and back. Also managed to track down a two man tent (again on loan) and a festival wardrobe.  
Hearts to  Miss Selfridge the new A/W collection was a great find. They have a gorgoeus selection of vintage inspired, on trend pieces that were perfectly in tune with festival season and vintage lovers. Completely unplanned, when I was wearing Adidas footwear and my colour block poncho I themeleoned into with the 1980's! My Electronic Sheep shawl come scarf was a much needed extra layer in the cold evening and hearts to Amplified Vintage for the Ian Brown tee! I'm not a natural festival goer so in planning my looks I can't take all the credit, they were all pulled together by Memsor. A fact I appreciated the most when I struck a pose in my khaki hooded! (absolutely necessary for our weather) poncho leopard print welly boots, because of the rain I did them almost every day!. 

   
  
The Vintage at Goodwood experience also branded as the 'Festival of Our Lives' set out to showcase '50 years of British Cool' in contemporary music, fashion, art, design and culture from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s in all its glorious detail. Sprawled across 240 acres the festival boasted a  baby sitting service. If your little one allowed (mine did not!) you could take in live music  from bands like The Noisettes, Sophie Ellis-Bextor and The Faces. Boy Boy and me, well we ventured out on the razz one night and caught a DJ set by Norman Jay and the end of Earth, Wind and Fire concert. The festival also hosted the first ever pop up High Street of name brand retailers including John Lewis, The Body Shop, Fortnum & Mason, Oxfam, Dr Martins, Jemma Kidd Make Up and Waitrose. 

We watched Bugsy Malone at the Vintage Main cinema, wandered the vintage market place looking for Fraubrauns on site pop up vintage shop come photo studio on Eclectic Avenue and eventually  tracked down  Dr Martins resident engraffiti artist Barney from I-Saw we found the rest of the I-Saw clan Racheal and little man Taylor in the Market Place. Before we left VAG we noted a couple of fairly obvious festival trends worth mentioning. Now its not clear whether it was a prerequisite for ticket holders but the land girl head scarf wrap or a head scarf of some fashioning was pretty much the ubiquitous head wear of choice worn by every self respecting festival'nista and except for a fashion forward rebel from Jemma Kidd wearing plum on her lips it was hard not to miss leopard prints and the sea of ruby red lipstick wearers. All in all a lovely weekend and congratulations to the Hemmingways for pulling it off we had a fantastic time and even though he wont admit it (because of the bugs in out tent!) Boy Boy is looking forward to doing it all again next year! Enjoy the festival snaps!       



No comments: